Tuesday, December 22, 2009

All things Zombie

In regards to the name of this blog (all hipster humor aside) it is about time that we talked about zombies. What is a zombie exactly?  Well, one can just google it and take the wikipedia route.   One may click this link for more information or simply refer to the dictionary definition.  

Why are they so popular?  Well, that is a bit trickier.  My guess is that on some level many people feel like zombies themselves as they trudge to and from work on their endless quests to earn a living.  I have certainly felt this way, and although I consider myself alive, there are times where I certainly resemble the walking dead during this routine.  More so, I am filled with a general disappointment with the life I lead and the society I live in.  While I am not violent at all I can see how others may wish that they could be occasionally and thus subconsciously at least love the very concept of zombies.

Zombies are also quite popular in film, in fact they have somewhat recently inspired a mock-umentary of sorts the trailer of which can be seen below. 

In regards to the name of this blog (all hipster humor aside) it is about time that we talked about zombies. What is a zombie exactly?  Well, one can just google it and take the wikipedia route.   One may click this link for more information or simply refer to the dictionary definition.  

Why are they so popular?  Well, that is a bit trickier.  My guess is that on some level many people feel like zombies themselves as they trudge to and from work on their endless quests to earn a living.  I have certainly felt this way, and although I consider myself alive, there are times where I certainly resemble the walking dead during this routine.  More so, I am filled with a general disappointment with the life I lead and the society I live in.  While I am not violent at all I can see how others may wish that they could be occasionally and thus subconsciously at least love the very concept of zombies.


While this film goes into great detail, and is pretty funny (its even a "watch instantly" option on netflix) it only scratches the surface of how old the concept of zombies really is.  


I could take snippets of the numerous articles covered in a google search of the topic, but that would be just stupid because if you are looking at this on a computer (duh...) you could do the same.  Instead I will copy and paste three funny and/or scary ideas / pictures that I found in my own research, hopefully this will inspire further research on our readers parts.  

1)  Zombies and Haitian Law  
A law that seems to condemn zombie creation went into effect in Haiti in 1835 [ref]. Article 246 of the Haitian Penal Code classifies the administration of a substance that creates a prolonged period of lethargy without causing death as attempted murder. If the substance causes the appearance of death and results in the burial of the victim, the act is classified as murder. (**Found here)

2)   Gainesville (<-- in respect of the Gators)
Florida's Department of Transportation says Gainesville motorists need not fear a zombie attack (**Found here). This is also true in Austin Texas too apparently.  See picture below for evidence.


3)  Zombie comics and videos.
Zombie prevention guidelines and history videos are just about everywhere.  There are also many comic books dedicated to zombies, including and entire series by an artist named Max Brooks. Below is his appearance at the Comic Con in San Diego a couple of years ago.


If for some unknown reason you are writing a paper on zombies, and live in the greater New York / Philadelphia area, below are links to what your public libraries have to offer in regards to research and fiction.  If you are elsewhere in the world I also threw up a link to amazon's lists of zombie books.




Now, what about faster zombies?  Zombies are the walking dead and obviously as a result they move slowly.  So why do we call ourselves that?  Who knows?  Ask D-Mass at Know Something records.  Perhaps it is just a clever contradictory concept that people in Bermuda find funny?  Who cares?  The name is cool I think.  

Anyway...

If you google "faster zombies" we do not show up at the top of the list.  WTF mate?  This annoys me quite frankly, as our blog is the first (at least in my peer group which is admittedly kind of tiny ;P ) globally contributed to light-hearted information source that I know of.  Thus, it should be recognized by google.  It should be recognized because most folks who google "faster zombies" within a year or so will be looking for us.  At least I (probably we) hope so.  Bill Clinton was from Hope Arkansas and he got to be president, so hope is good enough for me to justify this rant.  In one month we've got close to a thousand hits and we think that this number may go up, so why don't we appear?  Then it occurred to me during my research into zombies.  We have no blog entries on zombies.  That'll throw a search engine right off.  So disguised as a perfectly reasonable blog the text above is my attempt to both trick google and educate you all simultaneously.  I'm going to go eat Pita Chips and clean up the kitchen now.  If you know more about zombies email us (ultrafastzombie@gmail.com) and we'll do follow ups to this report.

peace,

Schmootzie

1 comment:

Best Zombie Movies said...

You've definitely got an interesting take on why zombies are so popular. I'm not sure I agree with it, but you make an interesting point.

I can't speak for others, but I love the social commentary present in the really great zombie films.

And thanks for sharing the "Caution! Zombies Ahead!" sign. lol I needed a good laugh today.

cloaked counter