Friday, January 22, 2010

Downloads pt. 2

Finally, the sequel to that piece I did on DJ Shadow and Downloading...
Most of you can recall the diatribe Shadow wrote on downloading. Not all musicians share his perspective on the music industry. For example look at Z-Trip:




Z-Trip hasn't just accepted the current situation in the music industry, he has embraced it. You can download nearly everything he has released on his website.
Rcrdlbl.net mostly features music from record labels (some of which have ties to major labels) who strategically "leak" tracks from upcoming releases to generate attention (a lot of your favourite music blogs use rcrdlbl as a source).
Labels featured on rcrdlbl include Fools Gold, Ghostly, Dim Mak, Downtown, Warp and much more.
Where Shadow has chosen to take a stance others are accepting the new paradigm shift in the industry and finding new ways to survive.
After all, even Brian Eno admits this change was inevitable.

"I think records were just a little bubble through time and those who made a living from them for a while were lucky. There is no reason why anyone should have made so much money from selling records except that everything was right for this period of time. I always knew it would run out sooner or later."



.....since it is Friday I was gonna post up another video from ....you know who... but I think I need a something a little different.

Like a free album from Kid Koala and Friends (I admit this came out a while ago when I wasn't paying attention, but I like it anyway).


Bonus 



-One Love

No comments:

cloaked counter