Tuesday, February 2, 2010

You better have the right visa to get that iPhone...






We took Monday off here in Crumbville.  We will do that again next week perhaps?  What?  Did you think the Crumbville Times Sunday Edition was just because we love you guys?  We are zombies, its questionable whether we have emotions at all.  Anyway,  I was on facebook (aka wasting time) this morning and saw a link to an article regarding iPhone availability in S. Korea that raised my eyebrows.



It was specifically about foreigners' difficulties in getting iPhones in S. Korea (with KT the country's largest cellular phone service provider) unless they have the right visas.

Being that we are on the Korean blog list I thought it was only appropriate to put a link to it on here to see what people thought.  Maybe for once we will get a comment since at the minimum about 2000 of you have been here, yet we have about 10.  That's math we don't like.

On the topic of cellular phones in S. Korea, I am somewhat surprised at the iPhones popularity.  I get it with foreigners given their popularity everywhere else, but what about this folks?  The iPhone gets TV sure, and S. Korea has been blanketed in 3G  phone service since 2002, which was darn early in that game but there must be a good reason that "smart phones"make up only 1% of their market.  The country is home to two of the worlds largest cell phone makers and thus gives you access to the new stuff first, what we call a smarter phone may seem kind of dumb over there.  I'll bet zombie cents that one can get something much cooler than an iPhone in S. Korea, being that they are arguably the more tech savvy country in the world, so what's the big deal?  I suppose the big deal is the exclusivity of a policy like the one KT uses, it does seem to be a cheap shot, but if I could get a phone way cooler then my friends have at home then I would just do that.  Then again that's just me so who cares?  Here's a commercial..



-Schmootzie


p.s.  Congrats' Sohoon, you've joined the blatantly cribbed by Schmootzie club...  Here's a cookie.

No comments:

cloaked counter