Friday, March 5, 2010

Eminem vs The Govenator....

I had a dream in which Eminem was battling Arnold Swarzenegger (sp) and I woke up to realize I fell asleep in front of the TV and the last battle scene from 8Mile was about to begin.



8Mile did for battle rap what Juice did for battle DJing...



Accept of course they used real rappers in 8Mile and fake DJ's pretending to DJ over what sounds like 45 King Routines...

So why do serious rappers hate 8Mile while DJ's love Juice?



Well to start Tupac is in Juice. The plot, the actors, and the directing are all superior to 8Mile.
But the real reason why people love Juice and hate 8Mile is....



I'm not saying these dudes are wack...cause they aren't. I'm saying I was in the scene pre and post 8Mile and dudes like these guys got zero love until after 8Mile...
What really changed weren't the rappers, but the ones that got attention, because the audience changed.

I'm not gonna get into how the audience changed cause its all now part of the Hiphop landscape, and ya'll know I love everyone equally.
BTW OZ won every round...watch that video again.
What I will say is that Hiphop is built on a strong tradition (albeit a modern one) and the true problem is/was that until 8Mile 90% of people at a Hiphop show knew who Cool Herc was/is.
After 8Mile that number dropped to maybe 65%.

I have to ask myself, and the readers/ Zombies out there...since music is now downloaded for free and is therefore losing its financial value, is it also being devalued culturally?
Sure we all have music related memories, but does the history of a genre or the culture associated with a piece of music carry any value any more?

Honestly when I was young(er) if there was a song that I liked I wanted to know everything about it.
I wanted to know everyone who worked on it, and I wanted to find out who "influenced" the artists who made it.
Do people still read interviews for stuff like that?

And if popular culture is loosing its cultural equilibrium today, how long will it be until mis-contextualizing older cultural works like Purcell's or Mozart's simply occurs because the blind masses decide that culture isn't important.
Culture is important. And the popular culture(s) of today will become the classical culture of tomorrow.

Just some food for thought.

Trivia question: Which came first Jazz or The Blues?
ask your friends....now go look up the answer...I bet most of you got the answer wrong ;)

peace,
One Love

BTW next week I am making my first Zombie mix...can't wait....

Bonus


Purcell...who I referenced in my post....


Seasick Steve just because...

No comments:

cloaked counter