Thursday, March 4, 2010

ODB, of course I'm rich!


Bad, bad Leroy Brownnnnnn...  R.I.P. sir!  I had a vision today of doing a post regarding the Ol' Dirty Bastard.  I needed to go back to the times when the Wu was a baby, when I first experienced living in the suburbs (like Mars, at least to me) and the city folk started looking at me funny.  At least the R3 to R7 / R8 two hour ride to go chill* had a soundtrack..  I listened to the Gravediggaz (which in europe had a crazy a$$ name btw) the Outkast, Nas, Jeru etc. etc etc.  and of course the ODB and his clan!!!!!

Jay-Z might have brought the hood to the burbs like he thinks, but the Wu brought something undefinable that (at least in my K.O.P. Abercrombieville ;P ) made a serious impression.  If you don't believe me, just watch these.  No fancy digital stuff, no theatrics, just ...  ummm?  Point is, no one will ever be like the ODB again, and that's all that's it.  The man was both a founding, and perhaps the most original, member of the Wu.



Kinda different from the endless stream of "behind the scenes" of music video footage, and Macbook-cam beefs huh?  Yes, those are actually food stamps, and yes it was 1995...

Mind you this was before "Forever."  I know that's what a lot of todays cute kiddos (I'm not old but I call it like I see it) define the Wu by, but sorry folks, in my opinion it was what led to the Wu Tang Forever album's success that mattered.  Basically nobody had ever seen or heard anything like them.  The ODB gives you a good idea of this phenomenon don't you think?



Remember the Box?  No?  Go cry in the corner, or just google it.

-Schmootzie

* with folks who treated me like I hadn't grown up there, thanks $%^#$$#@&^s!! ;)  and a huge salute to the teenage double social life having people out there, nuff' respect.  Send the C.R.A.B.S. a link to this...  In the comments tell me when this song came out, who it is etc. and I'll give you a cookie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The Wackness 2: Suburbia"

cloaked counter