Monday, April 12, 2010

Why I Hate My Cat, Vishnu


He'll try to kill anything that moves. Feet under a blanket. Attack! String hanging from a hoodie. Attack! Piece of trash blowing in the wind. Attack!

Critter in a cage. Attempted attack!

The latter is what I hate the most about Vishnu. I can't have any other pets. I've tried. Former roommates have tried. He gave Taterpuff Jr, a nice little mouse, a heart attack. He nearly burnt down my apartment after knocking over the heat lamp for my roommate's bearded dragon.

I know I should just deal with this companion of mine that will probably live for at least another 10 years but I have a lingering passion that Vishnu just wont let me indulge in...

I love rats.

I grew up with them as pets. My best friend has like 6. They're my favorite animal.



Don't get grossed out. Geeze.

The taboo that rats are plague carrying vermin and filthy creatures to shriek at the sight of makes me mad. Seriously, I'm not going to grab one off the streets and call it my own. That is gross and dangerous. There is a science to choosing the proper rat. And once you have one you will scoff at all other pets.

I bet you didn't know that they are extremely cleanly animals. They can be trained to do all sorts of cool stuff. Think of any trick you can teach a dog and you can train a rat to do it. I've seen a rat and dog become best friends. They napped together, cleaned each other. It was damn cute.

In India they worship them. There is a temple that is dedicated to them. The worshippers drink out of the same milk bowl that hundreds of thousands of rats drink from daily. I'm not that into rats. But that's a fun little fact.

If you don't have a crazy street cat like Vishnu, I highly suggest getting a pet rat. You won't regret it. Promise. If you don't believe me about how amazing these critters are, check it out here for more information.

-That Girl Em

No comments:

cloaked counter