Tuesday, December 29, 2009

In honor of New Years coming up.. Let's go old school!



Okay world..  In honor of DJ Don't Panyk (and all parlimentary ex-pats in general) etc. representing Ottawa (the capital of Canada, not the other one), here is your 15 minutes.  Ottawa hip-hop back in the day shall be my old school video of the year nominee, for obvious reasons.




1. Who, besides Ottawa residents knows much about Ottawa hip hop? Its actually pretty good folks, and has been for a long time.  Even the lesser known artists are often progressive and talented.  I mean, big respect Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and other spots in Canada that have made good stuff (also almost completely ignored by the U.S. and everywhere else), but Ottawa is pretty good, and I think its about time I threw some respect.


2.  I have a sense of humor, this video is Tom Green's rap group.  That's right, Tom Green.  He's from Ottawa, and he was a rapper, before he had his private and bigger 15 minutes.  A rapper with a video no less, that's basically 15 minutes too.  He also married Drew Barrymore (which is really random) which brings him up to about 45 minutes. Nice work man.  By the way, I didn't like his movie, but it was.. How do I say this? Well, just watch this, starting at around 5:02, it has to be one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.  I have no clue if its funny but..  That's a f--kin' elephant... Dude...  ... ...  ?!?!?!


3. Know Something Records is dope.  They sponsor us zombies (look to the right), and we like their music.  D-Mass doesn't just represent Ottawa but he holds things down there as well, so if folks are curious about Ottawa hip hop, or music in general as a result of this post, then good.


4.  This song is actually pretty banging.


5.  Tom Green is actually a presentable rapper, I'm not saying brilliant but he does a nice lil' Beastie Boys / Third Bass combo in my opinion.



word.
-Schmootzie

No comments:

cloaked counter