Sunday, January 10, 2010

Yourboyhood

I'm very excited to present our first interview with Hong Sukwoo of yourboyhood. As time progresses we will interview various interesting people asking them 5 random questions. Sukwoo is a street fashion photographer in Seoul, Korea. But he is more then that. For one, he's super talented and very active in the whole Seoul fashion/ culture movement.


You can read more about him and see his photos mostly at yourboyhood.  But also visit:
The interview:


1. Your main subjects are grandfathers, doors, and fashion. What is your main inspiration?
My main subject is “shoot things in Seoul that interest me,” that does include street fashion. When I was in graduate high school, a man took my picture for some “street fashion snap website.” He gave me his name card, so I sent him an email that I wanted to be their street fashion photographer. Two weeks later, they contacted me to be their street snapper on the website. That was 2002 to 2003. I always want to archive Seoul's street fashion, but I want to express my own view of fashion and the city. I always want to photograph the city (Seoul). My main theme is not specific subjects as you mentioned, “door, grandfather, etc.” Naturally, I shoot what I think is nice, beautiful, or cool and good or impressive. Specific subjects are not really my main subjects. I shoot & gather whatever I like in the city, even if it isn’t a cool thing.

2. How did you get into photography?
I didn’t study photography in school but I liked to explore and walk in my town. If I discover an interesting person or object, I shoot them. That's all. And I'm interested in “capture of moment” like sunlight in a wall, good person in the street.

3. You seem to be very involved in the Seoul art and fashion world. What is your favorite thing about Korea and how does it relate to your photography?
Yeah, I love Seoul city. My former jobs are diverse. I work as a garments & publications buyer/curator of Daily Projects shop. Also I was a fashion columnist of a street fashion website called Musina.com and GQ Korea. And I'm a big lover of independent publications, so I curated an exhibition that focused on especially independent publications on a worldwide scale. Also I'm passionate about photography, essays, cultural movements and contemporary culture. Currently I'm a freelance fashion journalist for journals, I lecture to the local fashion movement in Seoul, and am involved in a few fashion/cultural projects. That’s me. So I shoot and archive to them.

4. If you could go anywhere in the world, what would you take photographs of?
My next subject of photographs is 'teenagers'. I don't care about a specific city or town. Always I'm watching for a persona in humans and objects.

5. You have a global following and a very popular blog. Do you have any tips for fellow bloggers?
Yourboyhood is something I enjoy. I don't have any pressure to photograph or for feedback. I'll update to what I want and of course I shoot. Enjoy your work. That is the strength of Yourboyhood.

바나나

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome interview!

One Love said...

This article is awesome.
Concise, Entertaining and informative are three words that come to mind.
I am sure alot of people will want to read your piece.

cloaked counter